Aug 16, 2012

(Tangle Free) String Wrapped Earphone Project

Images: Pinterest
Most of us are familiar with the story of the king and the poisoned well.

Everybody in a town, except the ruling king, drink from a poisoned well which was the only water supply. They all go mad and think the king is acting strange and unfit to rule. As they begin a rebellion, the king drinks the water and joins them in their madness. The people rejoice, for their king has regained his reason.

There have been a number of times that I've tried my best to avoid 'drinking from the well' but sadly, certain situations dictate that I must at least dip my toes in it from time to time.

Let me paint a picture.
If I wanted to listen to music on the go, my only option was to tape which ever album I wanted, from a record or CD, to cassette tape and listen on my Walkman. Yes, I was still using a Walkman up until a year ago. But now, with iPod in hand, I'm just like you, so my giddiness and apparent slip into madness seems commonplace as I walk around the city with some of my favourite - sorry, strike that - ALL of my favourite music at my finger tips.

One thing, I refuse to wear those silly little white earbud headphones.

The main reason I held off buying an iPod (and it's a silly argument I know, but it's my argument) was seeing fleets of people gliding to and from work with skinny white cables protruding from their ears like some 1950's version of a dystopian future...well actually, exactly like some 1950's vision of a dystopian future...
"And in her ears the little Seashells, the thimble radios tamped tight, and an electronic ocean of sound, of music and talk and music and talk coming in, coming in on the shore of her unsleeping mind." 
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 (1953)

I have opted instead to wear my skinny black earbuds, which are TOTALLY different from the fleets of people gliding to and from work with skinny black cables protruding from....blah blah blah
(I never said I had a strong argument!)

However, if you don't really care if you have skinny white cables or skinny black cables, my guess is you might be interested in this.
Wrapping your skinny white cable/black cable earphones in thread eradicates the annoying and frankly incomprehensible issue of tangled earphones and to be honest, I actually  think they look quite good.
                                                
Image: Start Acting My Age

This tutorial comes from Allie over at  Start Acting My Age, a great blog with some great craft projects.
Jump over to her site for her full list of step by step instructions and handy, practical tips.

Images: Start Acting My Age


1. You'll need a pair of scissors, a safety pin, selection of embroidery thread (try somewhere like Hickeys) and clear nail polish.


2. Pin your earphones to a pillow or blanket.


3. Choose your colour thread and tie to the top of the earphone.


4. Keeping the colour threads together, start wrapping them around the cable, trying to keep them tight.


Images: Start Acting My Age



5 & 6 When you get to the end, tie 2 knots and pull tight







7. Cut off any excess thread.


8. Dab some clear nail varnish to seal the knot and make sure it doesn't unravel.

Use the same process for the rest of the other cables.




Check out the pages of Pinterest for a number of other ideas and tutorials.

Image: Apartment Therapy

Now that I have my one of a kind earphones and all my music in the one place it feels a bit like a hollow victory. Listening to my ipod while in transit, well... it's just me listening to that music. And mostly just to past the time from one destination to another. Nothing can beat the joy of listening to a record on a turntable, being shared by a room full of people.

I might have gone mad, but I'm not crazy.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! This is Allie from said blog :)

    I was just checking my traffic and I saw I had quite a few visitors from your site! I clicked on the link and was shocked to see such a nice post about my project! Thank you so much for featuring my project and giving proper credit. I really appreciate it. You have gained a new reader in me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie,


      Yes, I hope you don't mind me re-posting your article. I really think you have a great site and the main reason I set up this blog was to showcase all of the wonderful talent that's out there. I want to try to give credit to every wonderful idea I find.

      I just wish I had some of that creativity myself!

      Best,
      Martin

      Delete
  2. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other biological methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapies worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...