Jan 30, 2014

Nuts & Bolts Chess Project

Image: Cub Scout Ideas
The other night I watched a fantastic documentary called Brooklyn Castle, which told the story of five members of a chess team from a below-the-poverty-line inner city junior high school in Brooklyn, that has won more national championships than any other in the US.

                "The film follows the challenges these kids face in their personal lives as well as on the 
                chessboard, and is as much about the sting of their losses as it is about the anticipation 
                of their victories."

It was a compelling, engaging and moving documentary that put forth a powerful and positive message about how to succeed, no matter what your circumstances are.


It made me think about my own introduction to chess (which I have mentioned here before) and how easy it could be to 'make' your own chess table and pieces - and I'd like to take another look at one of the ideas previously mentioned in that post.

Chess pieces made from nuts and bolts.

Image: Cub Scout Ideas
This is such a simple and beautiful example of great design.

Image: Cub Scout Ideas

Some websites are actually selling Chess Sets made with nuts and bolts for upwards of 180 euro.
Not 1 euro 80 cent. Not even 18 euro, but One hundred and Eighty Euro! 180 euro!! Really!

To be honest, fair play to them for trying. They're really going for that "non compos mentis" type customer - of which, it seems, there are more and more of these days.

But really - If someone is willing to spend that sort of money, then they've obviously got a few screws loose!

So, if you are part of the 'mentally sound' population and fancy making your own Chess Set for a fraction of those costs, then jump over to Cub Scout Ideas for a comprehensive and low cost list of nuts and bolts that can be picked up from any hardware store or DIY shop. They even have their own ideas on DIY Boards made from picture frames

You can even try spray painting the set to achieve different colours.
Image: Cub Scout Ideas
Image: Cub Scout Ideas
As always, here's an alternative design. A larger image can be found here.
I have to say, I quite like the look of the wing-nut in this design.

Image: deviantART
.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page win at chess -  On this website we will show you how to win your chess games. Depending on your current knowledge we have several tips how you can improve your game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much

    Plan on making as a gift for family member

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapy worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to attempting to learn a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...