Feb 25, 2011

Upcycling Project

Over the next few weeks I'm going to try and concentrate more on larger upcycling projects.

Upcycling is a phrase coined by Cradle to Cradle authors William McDonough and Michael Braungart and involves the process of taking one material (sometimes at the end of it's life) and turning it into something of similar or greater value, in its second life.

Recently I've found some really great sites that have inspired me to get working and try to be a bit more creative.

Sarah Wandering had this great project for turning old drawers into a funky looking side cabinet.

All she did was add some Ikea Capita legs to the back panel of each drawer and then each drawer received a coat of a blue-grey paint. One drawer is placed open end facing the living room, the other drawer faces the wall and conceals her stereo speakers. She drilled 1/2" holes where the speakers are located so the sound isn't muffled.

I think it's a great idea - and there are tons of great ideas on upcycling out there.

Over the coming months I'll try and highlight the ones I like. The rest of the time I'll be keeping busy with new projects. I've bought a couple of old pieces of furniture and this weekend I plan on rolling my sleeves up and seeing what I can do.

As with previous projects I'll document the process. Hopefully showing you how easy it is and if it turns out well, how worthwhile it is.

Sometimes it's not just about taking old furniture and turning it into something new. Here's another project from Sarah that involves some 3 dollar rugs from IKEA.
She took 3 rugs, stitched them together, and filled with some wadding that she had left over from a previous project.
A custom dog bed that is rugged and durable and washable.

After this weekend I'll start posting pictures from my first big project.

Fingers crossed..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...