Jul 26, 2012

Paper Mache Elephant Project

Image: Ultimate Paper Mache


Why do people collect the things they collect?

Apart from the obvious motivations such as nostalgia, social interaction with other collectors, appreciation of beauty, investment and a need to posses a small part of the world, there is the personal pleasure of it.

I have one visible collection and it's not even really mine.


20 years ago, on my 18th birthday, my mother bought me a large ceramic elephant. I say large, but it was just big enough to hold a potted plant. I don't know why she bought me an elephant, I don't remember ever discussing elephants or that I liked elephants or that I wanted any large ceramic representations of an elephant that were big enough to hold a potted plant. I didn't even own or want a potted plant. But great collections have to start somewhere.

20 years and 8 homes later my collection of elephants has grown and shrunk. Each passing birthday, a new addition was handed to me from close friends and family, with a knowing smile from them and an internal "Huh?" from me. Peer pressure forces some kids to take up smoking. I was made collect elephants.

I mentioned that I have one visible collection. The elephants. They are on show in every room but I'm not one of the crazy folk* who has 100's of them. There are probably 12 - 15 in total, spread around 6 rooms. So that's the visible collection. My invisible collection is hidden under beds, in wardrobes & behind wardrobes, in the attic, in suitcases and has now started moving out to the shed. That collection is 'empty space'.

I have started to de-clutter my house of all the rubbish wonderful useful items I've held on to in the hope that they might come in handy some day. My latest obsession is newspapers. I've held on to more than my fair share (not like this guy) because I love to find ways of recycling old newspaper.
I've probably had about a stack of 20 newspaper on the go for the last 6 months and now that newspaper stack can help one of my collections achieve the other.

Ultimate Paper Mache have this incredible tutorial on making your own paper mache elephant.

                        
.                                                                 Video: Ultimate Paper Mache

Check out the video and have a look at the website. They have a great list of projects for kids, such as these.

Paper Mache Buildings

Image: Art For Small Hands




                   Bunny Rabbit                                                                                    Jack Skellington
Image: bkids
Image: Monstermade




















The way I see it, another project on these pages leaves me with more empty space at home and these days, I'm starting to build up quite a collection.

*You're not crazy - you just have a special bond with your collection. No one appreciates it as much as you.

4 comments:

  1. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    HELLO
    Loan Offer Alert For Everyone! Are you financially down and you need an urgent credit/financial assistance? Or are you in need of a loan to start-up/increase your business or buy your dream house. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural procedures, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapies worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching and pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in bottles, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...