Jun 14, 2012

Father's Day Crafts Project

Image: gettyimages
Father's Day rolls around again this Sunday and personally, I find it hard to define what that actually means.
But I'll try.

Growing up, one of my favourite TV shows was MASH and even as I type that sentence, I feel the need to restrain myself from parroting out a long list one liners and favourite scenes. I will share one scene that might help with my definition.



In the episode Sons and Bowlers, Hawkeye (Alan Alda) is anxiously awaiting word about his father, who has undergone surgery for a life-threatening condition, Charles kept a vigil with him and reveals to Hawkeye his envy of the close relationship Hawkeye and his father share in stark contrast to that with his own father.



While most of you belong to that 'dad' group and some of you belong to the 'father' group, I belong in a rare group, which actually is not so rare anymore and that's not having either. Which to be honest, I'm okay with. I didn't know any different growing up and when it comes down to it, who does?

Therefore, at certain stages throughout my teenage years, I've chosen a select few people and forced them 'square peg-like' into the father figure shaped hole in my life, with varying degrees of success I might add.
So, to those friends, uncles, grandparents, pop singers, movie stars and authors - I thank you for being there when I needed you the most.

It's only now, when I've become a Father myself, that I start to understand what that word 'Father' means and how it defines me.

To paraphrase Tom Wolfe from The Bonfire of the Vanities
 "...the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could, out of a sense of duty and, perhaps love, adopted a role called Being a Father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector, who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life."

This weekend is your chance to take the time to let him know he's done a good job.

Here are a few ways in which you can do that.

Check out marthastewart.com where you'll find some great ideas for handmade gifts.

              Retro Father's Day Labels                                                                Photo Bookmarks
Image: Martha Stewart
Image: Martha Stewart
















For crafts with more of a recycling theme, check out The Crafty Crow where you'll find ideas like this one.

                                                            Salt Dough Paperweight
Image: Crafts by Amanda

When it comes down to it though, the simple ideas are always the best.
Image: DIY Father
 Here's a video that shows you the 'how-to'.



This Sunday will be my second Father's Day and I'd like to think I've settled, with as few bumps as possible, into this role that I've adopted, because it's not something I've ever imagined I would do or would happen.

My only hope is one day, I can be a Dad.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...